Saturday, September 27, 2008

More Money Please . . .

As both girls are sleeping, I sit down to finally blog what's been on my mind. Myrah wakes up and is now nursing but this is how things go these days. =)

Twice in the last few weeks when talking to woman I've been asked what I do. I respond with enthusiasm and say, "Nothing!" and smile. They then go on to explain how they too get to stay home and just love it. But then they go on to tell me about what they do on the side and both have summed it up with, "that way I feel like I'm contributing and helping out (financially)." My first response is shame and I want to add that for awhile I was doing daycare to help out, or that I sell things online occasionally or that I . . . wait . . . no, I really don't do much to bring in money. Then instead of feeling like a slacker a sense of consuming pride fills within me. And then I think to myself how wonderful it is that my husband provides totally for our family.


I feel a little old-fashioned. And at the same time it makes me feel more like a woman. Letting my husband be the man that he was created to be, for me, means also letting him provide for us completely. And it feels great. My way of "contributing" is not by bringing in more, which might imply that what he does isn't enough, but by cutting back. It's my job to take what he gives me and make a family budget. It's my job to see that our budget works for us. It feels GOOD to pay $3 for a pair of shoes for the girls, or to buy something we need used in good condition. It feels GOOD to hunt for good deals and save our family money. It feels GOOD to live within a budget. And I know it makes my husband proud.

So you won't hear me talking about going back to work or buying a new SUV (tempting). We love traveling, Starbucks (Jamba Juice for Andrew) and those little things that make life more comfortable (looking at my toes I could sure use a pedicure =). And money is one of those things we could all use more of. Trust me, I still look forward to that raise coming in January and being able to live in a house that I'd feel a little more comfortable in. But at the same time, where I'm at and where we live now is great, it's safe and it feels like home. So, between my husband's hard work and my savings we're able to enjoy all these things (on occasion) and truly live blessed while still being able to give and bless others. It feels GOOD to be where we are. It feels GOOD to have my man be my provider. And it feels GOOD to be a little old-fashioned.

I'm proud of my husband. I'm proud of my manly provider (who, might I add, not only works hard for his family doing something that doesn't necessarily thrill him, but also comes home and works hard to help around the house and give mommy needed breaks from the precious girls).

My Man


I'm a lucky girl.
I've got a strong man.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

You are a lucky girl and you do have a strong man! :D

MamaKristin said...

Amen sister!!! Love the broom with the baby on board!

gibbousmoon said...

Andrew looks like Benjamin (well, like Benjamin used to look) in that second photo. Fun.